Saturday, November 20, 2010

Why on Earth did Kate Middleton's Issa London Royal Engagement Dress Sell out in 24 Hours?

Photo: Getty Images/Frazier Harrison 

Don't get me wrong...I am just as excited about the impending royal wedding as the next person, but for some reason I am just not on board with the excitement over this blue dress.  The ring, of course...this dress...no.  The Examiner is reporting that Kate's navy blue Issa dress that she wore for the royal engagement announcement sold out in 24 hours.  The dress retails for about  $615..but I just don't see why people love this dress so darn much. 

I mean, yes...is it is a nice, classic, navy dress.  Is it the most flattering dress?  No.  Is it a good value?  No.  First, the silhouette is all wrong...the girl doesn't really have hips, but that flared skirt makes me think there might be something to hide under there.  The way the flared skirt hangs from her waist to her knees just isn't a flattering shape. Plus, the long sleeves and knee-length just look more dowdy than the age-appropriate twenty-something that  she is.  The plunging neckline, probably one of the few things I like about this dress, does little to save it or make it exciting.  

A few more things -- the sheen in the fabric didn't really photograph all that well, and the fitted wrap around bodice looks more samurai than sophisticated.  And finally, Kate:  you are the likely future Queen of England!!! Couldn't you have worn something by an indigenous British designer?  I mean, seriously?  Show some U.K. love!

At half the price, here is my pick for Kate -- Vivienne Westwood Draped Jersey Dress:

This dress is so similar, and yet so different from the one Kate chose.  It has the sleeves, and it is a similar length.  But the length here is actually perfect - it hits at the smallest part of the knee, which is gives the illusion of a long and lean silhouette (or, in Kate's case, flatters her already long and lean silhouette).  Plus, the shape of the skirt is sleek and sophisticated.  The dress as a whole flatters, but it is isn't overly sexy for the occasion -- an announcement by the likely future King and Queen of England.  The fabric doesn't have the sheen to it either, therefore it isn't a photographic no-no. This dress just exudes elegance -- there is a uniqueness to it that would give her that slight fashion edge.  This dress says, "I'm here, I mean business, I'm classy and sophisticated, and I look great.  Photograph me."

Finally, the color of this dress complements William's suit wayyyy better, it is by a British designer, and at $300 it is less than half the price of the Issa London dress.  England is in a recession!  Buy the Vivienne, not the Issa!

But this is just a humble commoner's opinion.  Its not that her choice was wrong...I'm just saying that it could have been better . . .

*UPDATE: Looks like another person in the blogosphere agrees with me on most points: http://www.celebitchy.com/127135/would_you_like_to_buy_kate_middletons_issa_engagement_dress_too_bad/

3 comments:

  1. Wow, did it really? I like that dress but it's nothing special, I think it suits her, I don't have hips either and think/hope that skirts like that make everyone think we might just have something going on under there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they now have "Issa of London" on their label - I just checked, I have a fuchsia one. It's her glossy mane that I want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like Issa trying to "re-brand" itself to be British since they are Kate's favorite brand. Seems a little sneaky to me, but so it goes. I would be really dissappointed if she chooses to wear Issa on her wedding day.

    ReplyDelete